Thursday, June 2, 2011

Celebrate the small things...

I had to back up just a bit with what I had intended to do with this blog.. Being new, I'm entitled to move things around a bit. My first main goal still stays the same. To keep my family in touch with what is going on in our life, and to help people such as myself to realize that MPS isn't as bad as it can seem. I mean it is as far as diagnosis goes, you can't change that. But I found myself with images of burying my daughter and planning a funeral and every other horror that every mother could make her self sick over. But you know what? Low and behold, after the sting of it went away, Emily was still here!! We are just learning to make some adjustments. May was a month for adjustments and small celebrations. 
    Last month, we did a few upgrades. Nothing big, but much better for Emily, that is for sure.  Alicia had a bigger carseat for Emily that she wasn't using anymore because her kids are wheelchair bound onw. So, we traded out Emilys cheap small booster carseat for an awesome bigger, much cozier one. She loves it. I also got her a Special Tomatoe EIO stroller. MAN, that thing has so much room in it. She actually looks comfortavble and not cramped up. Before we just had an umbrella stroller, so ya.. big difference. 
    With those little treats for her, it seems as though she rewarded me for her happiness. May brought several little accomplishments for little Miss Emily. The biggest one? She learned to ride her tricycle! Because of the issues with coordination, there are not many kids that figure out how to ride one. The pedaling part just doesn't register with them. Personally, I think she was watching the kids at school. You can watch her watch kids, and later she will try to figure out how to duplicate it later. I'm just so pleased as peaches that she figured it out! Now we can go for walks and stuff!! 
        It seems when she figures things out, we have a whole string of little accomplishments. She is trying to say play, and she is trying to sign it. Every few times she will say "want play" in her Emily verbage. 
   Another thing we did was draw a circle. Again, not huge but when you ask her to make a circle, it's a circle! We even get one dot for an eye. Our goal in EI is to make a face with a circle, two eyes and a smile. We are half way there!! 
   Now she is able to tell me which Barney episode she wants, and she wont settle for another one. She knows what she wants, and that is fine by me. At least it's not the same one over and over, lol she picks and chooses. The last little accomplishment is a summersault. She tries and tries but that buddah belly of hers and her backs refusal to bend at all (nothing wrong with her, she's just a chubby toddler) makes it kind of a mess. But she's getting it!! Now she's actually trying to stand on her head thanks to her pappa. 
   And last, but not least, Love Quilts made Emily a quilt!! I can't wait to get it, it's purple with bunnies on it. You have to pick 3 different themes for the ladies to make a quilt with.. my picks were Purple, flowers with insects (ladybugs) and soft animals (bunnies). The very next day she wrote me back and said they had a purple quilt with bunnies on it. Of course I said yes!! I still think its a coincidence, she says no, because they do extras all the time. But come on.. purple AND Bunnies?  I'll post pictures when I get it <3

No comments:

Post a Comment